Wappen des Sauerthals - Klicken Sie hier für eine Wappenerläuterung
 

Navigation

Link: Startseite

Link: Historie

History in detail | ...back to the short form

The location

The Sauerburg is located at the valley of "Sauerthal" (a valley beside the "Wispertal") on the top of a big hill (360m). The driveway to the castle is located high above the village of Sauerthal. 180 hectare of land belong to the castle Sauerburg.

The first documented mention was in 1120 in the so called "Conradus da Waldekke".

Construction and comital owners

1290
Heinrich I. from Sponheim sells the castle to count palatine Ludwig II.
 
1339
the castle gets into the "Burgfrieden" which has been built by the count palatine Rudolf Ruprecht the elder and Ruprecht the younger.
 
1355
arch bishop Gerlach of Mainz allows the count palatine Ruprecht "to built a castle which is called 'Surburne'". At this Point the castle should have been expanded in a way where it became significant in a warlike matter.
In the same year the nomination of count Adolf from Nassau, Johann from Nassau-Merenberg and Johann from Katzenelnbogen at Erbburgmännern on the castle Sauerburg takes place.
 
1361
countpalatine Ruprecht confesses knight Johann Hertwig von Lorch as lord of the castle Sauerburg.
 
1505
elector Philipp von der Pfalz sells the castle to his marshal Philipp von Kronberg.
 
1617
the familiy of Brömser from Rüdesheim inherits the castle in a very dilapidated condition.
 
nach
1618
Brömser rebuilt the castle. He is told to be the builder of the bastion and the circle of guns. Also the chapel and the fountain were constructed during this period.
 
1635
After the outbreak of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648), the castle has been overrun and destroyed by Bernhard of Weimar.
 
1653
Franz from Sickingen marries Anna Margaretha from Metternich.
 
1668
the last masculine inheritant of the family Brömser dies. The Sauerburg falls into the hands of the family Metternich by inheritance.
 
1689
the castle gets captured and totally destroyed by the troops of Ludwig XIV.
 
After the death of baron from Metternich-Winneburg and 3 years after the destruction of the castle, the Sauerburg falls 1692 into the hands of the famous family of Sickinger and from now on remains in the direct line of succession up to 1834.

On november 25th in 1834 the last member of the family count Franz von und zu Sickingen dies in the valley of Sauerthal on the "Hof Sauerberg" which still belongs to the Sauerburg. Count von und zu Sickingen is buried on the village cemetary. 

1692
Franz von Sickingen buys again the fee Sauerburg, which stays into his property in the following years.
1834
the last lord of the castle of this family count Franz von und zu Sickingen dies.
 
1841

Carl from Gemmingen becomes fee owner of the Sauerburg.
 

1845
deputy head Dr. Karl Rossel builds a memorial for count Franz from Sickingen on the cemetary in Sauerthal.
 
1888
Melchior Adolf Pistor becomes owner of the Sauerburg with belongings.
 
1898
Petronella Corneli born Esser becmoes owner of the Sauerburg with belongings.
 
1902
the ruin of Sauerburg (with Sauerberger Hof) gets sold to Johann Bomm and his wife Anna born Küppers.
 
1907
after forced sale Elisabeth Esser born Lieven becomes owner with belongings.
 
1908
Margarethe from Loehr born Beyerle becomes owner.
 
1908/10
the Sauerburg gets partially rebuilt by privy councillor from Loehr and his wife more or less in the condition like it is today.
 
1934
Josef Verret becomes owner of the Sauerburg and the "Hof Sauerberg".
 
1942
Franz Peter Mostert buys the Sauerburg with all belongings and it's family stays as owner until 2003.
 
2003
the Vieso AG from Switzerland buys the Sauerburg with the "Hof Sauerberg". The castle gets rehabilitated in one year and now is a gem and landmark for the "Sauerthal".
 

History of Sauerburg

In the 14th century castles often have been used for administration close to a customs facility and also for hunting. Even the Sauerburg seemed to be built for this purpose. The area around the Sauerburg belonged to the count palatines at rhine. They were the owners of the important custom facility "Kaub", which should have been protected by the Sauerburg.

In the year 1355 the arch bishop Gerlach of Mainz authorized count palatine Ruprecht to build the Sauerburg. The castle also should protect from the castle of Waldeck which was located pretty close. Only a few parts of walls remained from castle Waldeck. The counts Johann von Katzenelnbogen, Johann from Nassau-Merenberg and Adolf Nassau became lords of the castle for the new castle to be built. The construction finished in the end of 1361. In the following decades the ownership changed many times. In the year 1505 count palatine Philipp sold the castle to Philipp from Kronberg. The castle remained in the family of Kronberg. Georg from Kronberg was married to Margarethe from Fleckenstein. An emblem of family Kronberg-Fleckenstein is located on the Sauerburg since 1541. The son castellan of Friedberg died as the last of the masculine successors in the year 1617 and left the dilapidated castle to his daughter. She was married to Hans Reinhard Brömser. 1618 Brömser got the document of fee and rebuilt the castle as a fortress in the following years. He was told to be a very religious man and for this reason he is told to be the builder of the chapel on the Sauerburg. After his death his son Heinrich became owner of the castle. But the castle was destroyed in 1635 during the 30 Years War. When Heinrich Brömser died as the last masculine successor of this famous family, his inheritors were Carl Heinrich Freiherr from Metternich, Anna Margarete Freyfrau from Sickingen and Maria Margaretha from Bettendorf. But the authorization of a fee has been declined. 1676 Franz from Sickingen bought parts from the Sauerburg.

The Sauerburg got completely destroyed in 1689 by the French troops of king Ludwig XIV. In the following years on the "Hof Fronborn" a residence has been built. From then on it was no longer called "Sauerburg" but "Sauerberg". For this reason the name of "Hof Sauerberg" remained until today. 1692 Franz from Sickingen got the fee of Sauerburg again. In the following years the Sauerberg remained in the hands of the family from Sickingen. After this the ownership changed many times. In the years of 1909-1912 the wife of the privy councillor Dr. Josef von Loehr, Margarethe born Beyerle from Berlin let rebuild the castle again. After some changing owners the Vieso AG from Switzerland bought the castle and the "Sauerberger Hof". In the year 2004 the Sauerburg was completely renovated and is now a gem and landmark for the "Sauerthal".

Sauerthal with the Sauerburg belongs to the UNESCO "Welterbe Oberes Mittelrheintal".

(Quelle: Sauerthal Geschichte in Text und Bild - Verfasser: Kurt Dehe, Rudi Spreitzer.)

...back to the short form

Contact | copyright: Sauerburg Touristik GmbH & Co. KG